This Saturday, President Obama attended the annual Human Rights Campaign fundraising dinner (see http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/01/obama-hrc-speech-gay-rights_n_990574.html). In his speech to over 3000 attendee, he blasted the Republican presedential candidates for standing by speechlees while folks in the audience booed a gay American soldier. Obama stated, "We don't believe in the kind of smallness that says it's okay for a stage full of political leaders -- one of whom could end up being the president of the United States -- being silent when an American soldier is booed. We don't believe in that," said Obama to loud cheers and a standing ovation. "We don't believe in standing silent when that happens. We don't believe in them being silent since. You want to be commander in chief? You can start by standing up for the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States, even when it's not politically convenient. We don't believe in a small America. We believe in a big America -- a tolerant America, a just America, an equal America -- that values the service of every patriot."
Gays have served in our military without the ability to let it be known. Discrimination is nothing new in the history of our nation - blacks, asian, women, latinos have all been through it. Our's is al all volunteer military. Just think about it, less than 1 percent of our population defend our way of life. Should we not honor all soldiers the same or is it somehow less honorable if the soldier who put his life on the line unlike the other 99 percent, happens to be gay?